So much has happened to all of us last year with the global pandemic, and I have been focusing on improving my own health and fitness as the top priority. I hope everyone is well and doing the same.
As for Partia, I’m finally starting to make another game, and hopefully I can use this blog as a devlog and periodically and regularly update my progress of the new project.
I started the work of refactoring the monstrosity that Partia engine became during those years I didn’t really care about good coding practices, because I was so busy scripting all those stages (around 60 of them if you combine Partia 1, 2, 3) where the data is all jumbled together (e.g. map data/unit data/ai data are all inter-linked) the engine was only good at one thing: making SRPG Partia games.
So the first thing I’m trying to do is to modularize the major factors of the game such as the battle simulator to be independent of the Partia’s stage data, so it can be used in other context: say to simulate any battle between two individuals, monsters, or armies etc. That means the battle logic shouldn’t be so involved in the character animations/exp/level ups, unless the simulator is being used back in the Partia game. I am doing this because I want to present a battle of large armies that is more number based, than unit based. Also I would like to use the battle rules in other battle formats than SRPG.
Anyways, the last thing I want is to have another 5 years project working by myself like I had to for Partia 3, so every time a modularization is complete, I will make a small demo that uses the feature, and just release it for free for fun.
P.S. (2021.02.15) OMG, decoupling the battle logic from the game is forcing me to restructure everything: namely unit, map, game rules and all the helper functions around those unholy trinity. LOL after two weeks I can’t still compile the hit/miss probability setup logic. I’ve never realized I’ve added so much logic around who and what is near and far in the games.